Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:12:41 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
Cc:        Inge Thorin Eids?ther <webdude@phreaker.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading ports from sources outside ports tree

# rehsack@liwing.de / 2002-09-28 07:50:48 +0200:
> "Inge Thorin Eids?ther" wrote:
> > I need to rebuild mod_php4 (for Apache2) from the latest sources,
> > because of a bug that (among other things) causes the file_exists
> > function in php 4.2.3 to work incorrectly. The bug has been fixed
> > in the latest sources, but these are (as far as I can tell) not
> > in the FreeBSD ports tree yet.
> >
> > Is there some manual way to do it that does not require me to be
> > an experienced programmer? I tried renaming the source tarball to
> > that of the old one, and build with NO_CHECKSUM=yes
> > (and WITH_APACHE2=yes), but the thing blew up complaining about
> > patches that failed to apply cleanly.
>
> Your main problem is, that the PHP4-dev (cvs snapshot) requires
> libtool 1.4, but there's only 1.3 in ports tree.

    That's not actually a problem. Libtool compiles cleanly on FreeBSD
    (precisely: I have never had a single problem), so you can just
    * download required versions of libtool and other autotools
      (automake, autoconf...), and install them in, say, /opt.
    * configure, and compile php:
      % PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH ./buildconf
      % PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH ./configure --with-this --enable-that

    i don't use apache-2.0 yet (especially as the php4 developers
    themselves say combination of apache-2.0 with php4 is alpha quality
    at best), but this has always worked for me building HEAD checkouts
    which i need to get decent CLI support.

> There is a php4-developer, derick@php.net, he is a very cooperatively
> person, he runs php4-dev under FreeBSD, maybe he can help you.

    Derick Rethans is indeed one of the greatest assets of the php
    community.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC