Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:44:19 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        anthony taranto <voltronw@yahoo.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: getting involved, plans for gnome 2?

anthony taranto wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'd like to get more involved with the porting of gnome to freebsd. what
> are the best ways to begin getting involved?

It depends on your skills and preferences. Currently we need the help
in following areas:

1. Debugging already ported applications to make them working better
on FreeBSD;
2. Port applications not yet ported to FreeBSD;
3. Keep already ported applications in up to date;
4. Submit FreeBSD-specific patches and fixes for already ported
applications back to GNOME developers;
5. Support FreeBSD GNOME users in the mailing list and FreeBSD PR
database;
6. Write more documentation about porting GNOME apps to FreeBSD. We
have some preliminary one - it will be introduced to the world RSN;
7. Improve GNOME on FreeBSD website, which is to be introduced to the
world RSN;
8. Test that all GNOME ports are buildable (requires lot of disk space
and CPU power, so beware) and report if there is something broken.

And so on... Therefore, if you really want to help - pick one of the
tasks, for which your skills and preferences are best suited and go
forward. Feel free to bug me if something is unclear or more detailed
info is necessary.

> also, what are the plans for porting the gnome 2 release?is there
> anything i/we can do at this early stage?

There are some plans to start porting gnome2 once 4.5 is out. This
will depend on how much hands willing to help we would have.

> anyway, let me know how i can help out, i'd like to jump in.

You are really welcome to. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your interest!

-Maxim