Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2020 14:24:30 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD X11 <x11@freebsd.org>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 12:29:51 +0200 Niclas Zeising zeising@freebsd=2Eorg said

> [...]
> >> in this part of the stack: the drm-kmod maintainer's job shifted so he=
's
> >> had to resign from that role=2E We have nobody to even update to newer=
=20
> >> Linux
> >> driver versions (though we might have a promising person in the wings)=
=2E
> >> There's literally nobody that has the time, the hardware, the docs and=
=20
> >> the
> >> expertise to help with this older video hardware (at least as evidence=
 of
> >> it's remaining broken for a long, long time)=2E Until that person shows =
up,
> >> you will unfortunately be out of luck=2E
> >=20
> > OK I've bit my tongue as long as I can on this=2E=2E=2E
> > How is importing yet more Linux code into FreeBSD a better thing? Or ho=
> > is it *fixing* anything regarding FreeBSD=2E For clarity; I don't dislike
> > Linux=2E I just prefer to use (Free)BSD=2E I'm frankly alarmed with the=20
> > apparent
> > volume that Linux code is entering the FreeBSD code base=2E I noticed muc=
h of
> > the UEFI bits are also converted Linux bits=2E I suppose for a quick need=
ed
> > stop-gap solution it might be reasonable=2E But it appears that a tremend=
ous
> > amount of time, and effort has gone into all this, and given the previo=
usly
> > mentioned lack of man-power=2E It seems unlikely that any of this will be
> > replaced with a FreeBSD equivalent=2E I'm not blowing smoke here=2E I earma=
rked
> > some time that I wouldn't be taking contracts so that I could invest so=
me
> > time on FreeBSD concerning "nits" I had that I thought could improve th=
ings
> > a bit=2E I looked into taking the time to make it nearly/fully POSIX=20
> > complaint=2E
> > Browsing the code=2E It was clear I wouldn't stand a chance unless I star=
ted
> > at ~9=2Ex where it starts to go sideways in fairly rapid succession=2E So I
> > decided to look elsewhere=2E I've had some nits with the Graphics dept=2E s=
> > I thought I'd look to see where I could best spend my efforts=2E Then the=
 new
> > Xorg landed=2E Well that's going a *completely* different direction than =
it
> > was, and I don't think I want to participate in that new direction=2E
> > I've finally landed on working on bolstering sc/syscons in an effort to
> > provide graphics mode switching and detection to it=2E
> >=20
> > Sorry if I've usurped this thread=2E But it's really been bothering me,
> > and I think others=2E So I just said it=2E
Hi!
First off, I want you to know I'm *extremely* grateful for all your time
and dedication, Niclas=2E Thank you!
> I can only answer for the graphics parts, nothing else=2E
> The short answer is, we need the linux code=2E  Developing a graphics=20
> driver from scratch, let alone 2 or 3, is an enormous effort, requiring=
=20
> a lot of time and manpower, resources we don't have=2E  Writing and=20
> extending a compat layer (lkpi) to be able to compile and run the linux=
=20
> drivers with as little effort as possible was the only way to do it, and=
=20
> this also has given us a chance to keep them updated=2E
Understood=2E=2E=2E
> Remember that there was a previous effort, the one today called=20
> drm-legacy-kmod, to port the linux drivers to FreeBSD without using=20
> lkpi=2E  While this effort was somewhat successful, it was not possible to=
=20
> keep it going and keep it up to date with the resources we have=2E
>=20
> I'm not sure what you're referring to with "the new Xorg" and the change=
=20
> of direction=2E  Are you referring to the update of xserver to 1=2E20?
Yes=2E Most of the changes I was referring to landed along with 1=2E20=2E
The UE was a disappointment=2E You're personal support was priceless=2E But
if I had been given the where-with-all to do-with-all from the start=2E I
wouldn't have had to ask for help, and you would have had more time to
code, spending less time *supporting* your work=2E :) IOW IMHO more
information should have been created, and pointed to before the large
change(s) landed=2E
>  What=20
> direction change are you talking about?
As alluded to earlier; the importation of so much Linux code=2E On one
hand; yes it shortens the time-to-implementation=2E But in the broader
scope; it's more work (and time) in the long term for it's removal,
and replacement -- assuming that day ever arrives=2E
The Kpi is also a kludge, and with it comes a performance hit=2E
Is there really that little interest in the Graphics area/dept=2E that
what we've currently been using couldn't be sustained/improved?

>=20
> Regards
> --=20
> Niclas Zeising
> FreeBSD Graphics Team
Thank you very much for the thoughtful, and informative reply, Niclas!

--Chris

--
UNIX is like Ice Cream=2E It comes in several flavors=2E
But in the end, it's still Ice Cream=2E