Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:54:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Graeme Cross <graeme@babylon.wsc.monash.edu.au>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Stephen Fuqua <sfuqua@pulsar.cs.wku.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for Operating Systems Course

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Wes Peters wrote:

> So far, we've got Minix with small code size and a textbook available.
> Linux gets points for easy installation, software selection, and
> performance, all attributes it shares with FreeBSD.  FreeBSD I gave
> three stars for textbooks because of the number and quality of the
> textbooks available.  I did not give Linux a star in the category
> because I am not aware of a textbook quality treatise on the design of
> the Linux kernel, suitable for an advanced undergrad OS course.

One possible contender is:

   LINUX Kernel Internals
          Beck, Michael & Bohme, Harold & Mirko, Dziadzka & Kunitz,
	  Ulrich & Magnus, Robert & Verworner, Dick; Addison Wesley;
          1996; ISBN: 0-201-87741-4; 480pp.

          A guide to Linux kernel programming; covers 1.2, slightly out
          of date now.

> Programming languages		  ***		  **
>
> Linux gets two stars because it supports most of the "important"
> languages, including (of course) C and C++, Lisp, Perl, Tk/Tcl, etc.
> FreeBSD gets three stars because it supports most languages of any type,
> including Modula-3, Fortran, Ada, Sather, Eiffel, etc.  I realize that
> many of these can perhaps be made for Linux without too much effort, but
> this effort has already been done on FreeBSD, which seems to be the UNIX
> of choice for language people these days.  Or at least the FREE UNIX of
> choice.  Minix, last I checked, has C and as.  (Bleh!)

I am aware of high quality Fortran, Ada and Eiffel products that are
commercially available for Linux, as well as free implementations of all of
the above.

There was an extensive article about Modula-3 in the Linux Journal sometime
in the last year or two as well.

Cheers
Graeme

- --
Graeme Cross			Water Studies Centre, Monash University
				http://www.wsc.monash.edu.au/~graeme/
Random thought #62
It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.