Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 17:26:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        jfieber@grendel.csc.smith.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pedantic paul on compilation warnings

>   From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
>   Subject: Re: pedantic paul on compilation warnings
>
>   Major part of the problem here is some one replaced the 4.4BSD provided
>   macro sets with the groff ones.  The groff ones are not up to snuff for
>   the BSD documentation, which used BSD specific hacks :-(.
>
> You're 1/2 right.
>
> 4.4BSD-Lite did NOT provide -ms macros, only -me macros, which is why
> we went through contortions to import groff-1.09 in time for FreeBSD 2.0.

You're 1/2 right too:
.\"     @@(#)tmac.s     8.1 (Berkeley) 6/8/93
.\"
.\" If groff, use groff -ms, else use local -ms (w/ditroff, troff, nroff)
.ie \n(.g \{\
.       so /usr/share/tmac/tmac.groff_ms
.\}
.el \{\
.       so /usr/old/lib/tmac/tmac.s
.\}
@

This is from the Attic of ~ncvs/src/share/tmac.

Now, what happened to tmac.groff_ms???
gndrsh# locate tmac.groff
/usr/share/tmac/tmac.groff_an
gndrsh#