Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 21:17:39 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
Cc:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@shawn.cpl.net>, Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crapintosh bashing, was:Re: cdrecord

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Michael Porter wrote:

> <redirected to CHAT due to subject change>
>
> > > BTW I'm sure I'm not the only one disinterested in your opinions on
> > > Macs.  Another forum for that sort of post please.
> >
> > Sorry. I should have refrained, but its hard to resist the temptation to
> > slam Macs...:) (no offence to anyone who likes Macs, although I doubt many
> > FreeBSD'ers would use or like Macs)
>
>   I agree, I didn't think any FreeBSDers liked Crapintoshes.  My HP48GX runs
> faster and smoother.  Hey HP, how about a port of the HP48 software to
> Crapintosh!  HAHHAHA!
> Hey, here's an idea, lets setup an old 386 with 4 megs of RAM in a Crapintosh
> case, and setup FreeBSD on it, then install that window manager thats supposed
> to be like a Mac, we'd have the
> WORLD'S FASTEST MACINTOSH!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Well, why not just port FreeBSD to Macs? The hardware is not *that* bad.

> Ahhhhh, I feel better now.  I hope I don't get banished off these mailing
> lists for this, but I had to say it.  I don't have anything against *people*
> who use crapintoshes, I just can't understand why they would want to.  Here's
> my major grievences:
>
> 1:)  I've heard they're hard to upgrade.  I've never tried, so this could be
> totally wrong

It depends. Like you can buy an old macintosh having a 100Mhz 601 and pop
in a 750@275/275 backside L2 cache or 604/350 Mhz. Yes, the memory bus
stays at 50 Mhz.

> 2:) Although I've heard that the PowerPC chip is *very* good (hey, it's
made
> by Motorola and IBM, it's got to be at least pretty good!) Comparing same
> software on same price systems, and similar chip-clock-rate systems yields
> better results on IBM compatibles (my tests and my friends)

Using which operating system?

> 3:) Crapintoshes used to have superior graphing abilities.  Not anymore.

Don't know, won't comment. But they tended to come with VRAM (now with
SGRAM) while most PC graphics cards are still DRAM.

> 4:) NO SHELL USE!!!  AACK!! My friend (a Crapintosh supporter) says you can
> buy software for shells.  Hmmmm....I've never heard of any.

No this is purely a software issue. If you run some other software than
MacOS on them, you can certainly have shells.

> I really could go on for quite awhile, but I'll stop my whining now : )

	Sander
		who does not own a Mac.

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.