Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:57:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de (Stefan Eggers)
Cc:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, housley@pr-comm.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: SCSI Controller

> > > If you're going for low-budget, I'd suggest looking around for NCR
> > > (SymBios) based controllers. They're cheap and are rumored to work
>
> > Symbios is really great and cheap thing. But they are PCI.
>
> NCR-5380 and NCR-53C400 based cards (our driver for them is named nca)
> have their driver under sys/i386/isa.  Maybe he thought of these sort
> of cards?

I have a 53c416 -based card (came with an HP scanner) and symbios
is sending me some documentation -- no idea how useful it will be
but when it comes i will keep you posted. Hopefully it is not too
different from the 53c400 so the nca driver can be adapted (the current
one does not detect the board i already tried)

On the same topic, I also happen to have an Advansys board, and linux
as a driver _supported_ by (hear, hear!) Advansys (see www.advansys.com)

I have looked briefly at it but i am a bit uncomfortable in patching
the 15K-lines source -- even after trimming out the initial 4K lines of
defines and the final 3K for PCI support it is still a lot of code...
so by chance has anyone else looked at this code and tried a port to
FreeBSD ?

	luigi