Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        Jacques Caron <Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com>
Cc:        Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>, <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: getting wi running as a bridge

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Jacques Caron wrote:

> >Pseudo-Wires? :)
> >
> >Take a look at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pwe3-charter.html
> >
> >I've read through some of the drafts, and it looks useful in certain
> >scenarios.  Encapsulating Layer 2 inside of Layer 3 seems kind of wrong
> >though.
>
> You mean, like L2F, PPTP or L2TP? Quite common, though, it appears...

I think so.  This would put the contents of an Ethernet frame inside of an
IP packet, therefore not having any special requirements for the network
that will be transporting the encapsulated frames.

For example, suppose you had a "gateway" on each end with both a wireless
and an Ethernet NIC.  For each gateway, the Ethernet NIC is in promiscuous
mode.  The contents of each frame that is received from the Ethernet will
be put in an IP packet and sent over the wireless connection.  The
other end would take the frame that is contained inside of the packet and
send it out on it's own Ethernet.  You now, essentially, have bridging
over the wireless connection.  I'm not sure how much sense this makes, but
the IETF drafts can probably explain the concept better.