Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:30:46 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: overclocking and FreeBSD stablity...

> I have an older Celeron 300a that I've been able to overclock to 464mhz
> w/o any problems when running Win98se.

Simple operating system, simple demands (cheap shot, sorry).

> Recently I installed Solaris 8 on the machine and tried running it
> overclocked... Solaris performs horribly with an overclocked processor.
> It freezes every other second and gives error messages on boot.

Slowaris wasn't meant to be a performance system and probably chokes
when it runs at speeds above 400Mhz.

> How is FreeBSD when it comes to an overclocked processor?  Is it more
> stable?

I have yet to hear of a report of an overclocked x86 system not working
with FreeBSD (if you don't overheat your system that is).  Seriously, it
should work.  If you have any problems (feeling gutsy), you can contact
me personally about any issues you may have.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden