Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:52:52 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Teo Carlsson <dyn_dns_sweden@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipf quiestion

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Teo Carlsson wrote:

> Hello i wonder if ipf can log and see what type of pages users are visiti=
ng.

> We want to check if they are pornsurfing or serious surfers?

No. ipf works at TCP/IP level, it cant understand HTTP requests. If you
want to audit  HTTP traffic use an aplication level proxy, like squid.

You can install it from the ports.

Squid has several other advantages: better performance (due to caching),
you can do filtering based on url type, method, IP, domain, user
authentication (plain file, SMB, ldap, etc), file type and so on.

You can combine both and configure ipf to allow only http requests
originating from the proxy server, this way you can audit and control
which sites your users are visiting. You can even configure ipf and squid t=
do transparent proxying.

Go to http://www.squid-cache.org for more info.

=09=09=09Fer