Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1990 19:48:32 -0800
From:      Steve Shah <sshah@clickarray.com>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        Ian J Greely <ian@tirnanog.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 11:20:40PM -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> to start it up though.  I actually cheated when I set up my X config.  I
> ran the easy install for Caldera Linux which has a nice autodetect system
> for the video and audio and copied the config files to a floppy.  Then I
> used that to fine tune the X config on the the FreeBSD side.

I cheated in a similar way to get X working with a card that wasn't
explicitly listed in the card list and a monitor that definately wasn't
listed. I created a RedHat installed on a 340M disk that I use to run
Xconfigurator which does a pretty reasonable job of autodetecting.
Once I had that as a basis, I could easily move it over to a FreeBSD
box and get it working with a few tweaks. (e.g. changing the font
server, etc.) For the monitor (which wasn't listed in Xconfigurator's
database), I used the following web site to help me create a modeline:
http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/linux/modeline/

Best of luck.
-Steve