Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:55:15 +0100
From:      Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update mergemaster options

On 12/11/2012 12:58 AM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On an 8.2 box, I run
>
> freebsd-update -r 8.3-RELEASE upgrade
>
> I am getting hundreds of files with "conflicts" like:
>
> <<<<<<< current version
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/auth.conf,v 1.6.32.1.4.1 2010/06/14 02:09:06 kensmith Exp $
> =======
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/auth.conf,v 1.6.32.1.8.1 2012/03/03 06:15:13 kensmith Exp $

I don't know why this happens. Upgrading a couple of boxes from 8.1-RELEASE
to 8.3-RELEASE did not give me these conflicts.
As far as I know freebsd-update does not use mergemaster.rc, just
freebsd-update.conf

It might be the case that you have upgraded from source before on this
machine that causes this situation?