Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:37:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, henrich@sigbus.com
Subject:   Re: MBone/mrouted troubles

could you send the contents of both of your /etc/mrouted.conf and
what is the TTL on the vic session?

There was a bug discovered in FreeBSD 4.4 in MCAST forwarding when
a local session is also went out the tunnel. The UDP checksum
was not calculated on the forwarding packet. I do not know when the
hardware checksum feature was added to FreeBSD but that may have
been FreeBSD 4.2 also. The patch was not picked up in FreeBSD 4.5
(at least it is not in RC1). To look for this bug, perform a tcpdump
of the tunnel's contents and you will see UDP checksum errors.
If you have this problem, I can give you a simplified version
of Bill Fenner's patch.

--mark tinguely.