Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:18:38 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freetype2?? again!

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:49:15PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Just as a side note, here, you should never put "." in root's path for
>     security reasons.  If you do you may accidently run a tojan that
>     happens to be in the current directory and named after a common
>     command like 'ls' (for example if you are examining a user's directory
>     as root or you are cd'd into /var/tmp).  It may be convenient, but it
>     is far better to get used to typing './BLAH' for things you want to run
>     from the current directory then to make it automatic and potentially
>     blow the machine's security.

This is true; I did it out of convenience, not worrying about it,
since I don't run things as root very often. But I'll put "." out of
my path.

This also happened to be one of my first "hacks" in a Unix-like OS,
years ago now, and I was very proud of figureing out how to avoid that
`./blah` thing :)

Anyhow, thanks.

regards
--