Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:10:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow PC and FreeBSD

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, JOHN MUELLER wrote:

>     Thanks again for the help....OK,  first question .. will FreeBSD run
> on a 75 or 90 Mhz pentium ? I probably should give them to the Salvation
> army, but....  I get to the "extracting bin into / directory" progress
> bar and it hangs at about 4%.  With my limited experience, I still
> suspect the CPU is the cause of the hang.  This one had a primitive
> Win98 on it.  I guess the primary question is, "What is the minimum
> processor speed required to run FreeBSD ?"
> (target practice)
> Johnny

I have installed and used FreeBSD 2.2.7 on a laptop that got 4 MB ram and a 386
cpu on 16 mhz or similar with a cirka 120 mb hdd. It required to first run the
boot floppy to make swap. Reboot. Install binary and the rest of the desired
parts.
So it can be done, but at least 8 mb ram is the pain limit for a
straightforward installation. Also freebsd above 2.x have a substantial bigger
kernel, something to keep in mind on machines with excessive little ram.
I have also used FreeBSD 4.x on 486dx33/8mb ram as cdrom nfs server,
Pentium100/32mb ram? as X-console to a huge alpha server.

I would say anything that is 486dx33, 8mb Ram, hdd 150 mb or more is quite
painless to install. Anything less works down to 386/4mb ram/40 mb hdd but is
hard to get running.
And I have not seen any hardware freebsd wouldn't work on because of the
main x86 hardware like cpu,motherboard,memory was not compatible. So your P75
and P90 should work just fine albeit not so fast ;), it will proberbly barely
decode mp3 with mpg123.

Compaq computers are usally very fast. But contains usually lots of propietary
stuff making them hard do manage.

      /Peter