Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:25:24 -0400
From:      bush doctor <dervish@nubisci.net>
To:        Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: finding source to functions

Out of da blue Nat Lanza aka (magus@cs.cmu.edu) said:
> Arindum Mukerji <rmukerji@execpc.com> writes:
>
> > The ctags utility that comes with vim (http://www.vim.org/) accepts an
> > argument of "-R" for recursive ctag-ing. I find it most useful in
> > indexing my tree.
>
> I tend to feed my tree to LXR, which has a nice function search, along
> with a wrapper for glimpse and some reasonable source browsing. I have
> my own hacked version, but the original code can be found at
> http://lxr.linux.no. It was written to index the Linux kernel, but
> works pretty well for the BSD kernel as well. If anyone wants, I could
> clean up what I have and produce a patch.
>
> If you want to take a look, my version is running at
> http://lxr.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/freebsd/source/.
Nicely done :).  I also installed lxr on my box.  I also ran global.
I found them both to be excellent tools, however I begining to lean
towards cscope+cbrowser.  The main advantage is that you don't need to
have apache running ...

> --nat
>
> --
> nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs
> magus@cs.cmu.edu -------------------------------- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus/
> there are no whole truths; all truths are half-truths -- alfred north whitehead

#;^)
--
So ya want ta hear da roots?
bush doctor <dervish@nubisci.net>