Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 14:16:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        jandrese@mitre.org (Jason Andresen)
Cc:        acahalan@cs.uml.edu (Albert D. Cahalan), ccf@master.ndi.net, gordont@bluemtn.net, jkh@osd.bsdi.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

Jason Andresen writes:
> "Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

>> It should be immediately obvious that ext2 is NOT the filesystem
>> being proposed, async or not. For large directories, ext2 sucks
>> as bad as UFS does. This is because ext2 is a UFS clone.
>>
>> The proposed filesystem is most likely Reiserfs. This is a true
>> journalling filesystem with a radically non-traditional layout.
>> It is no problem to put millions of files in a single directory.
>> (actually, the all-in-one approach performs better than a tree)
>>
>> XFS and JFS are similarly capable, but Reiserfs is well tested
>> and part of the official Linux kernel. You can get the Reiserfs
>> team to support you too, in case you want to bypass the normal
>> filesystem interface for even better performance.
>
> Er, I don't think ReiserFS is in the Linux kernel yet, although it is
> the default filesystem on some distros apparently.  I think Linus has
> some reservations about the stability of the filesystem since it is

It is in the kernel:
http://lxr.linux.no/source/fs/reiserfs/?v=2.4.4
Bugs died left and right when it went in.

> fairly new.  That said, it would be hard to be much worse than Ext2fs
> with write cacheing enabled (default!) in the event of power failure.
> We only have three Linux boxes here (and one is a PC104 with a flash
> disk) and already I've had to reinstall the entire OS once when we had a
> power glitch.  ext2fsck managed to destroy about 1/3 of the files on the
> system, in a pretty much random manner (the lib and etc were hit hard).

If you don't like ext2, why should it like you? :-)
I power cycle a Linux box nearly every day to reset
a board.

> If only FreeBSD could boot from those funky M-Systems flash disks.

If you want flash, use a filesystem designed for flash.
(not UFS, ext2, Reiserfs, XFS, JFS, or FAT... try JFFS2)

>> So, no async here, and "UFS + soft updates" can't touch the
>> performance on huge directories.

From another email you mention benchmarking with:

> Linux 2.2.16 with ext2fs and write caching
> 10000 transactions, 60000 simultanious files:

1. The 2.2.16 kernel is obsolete.
2. 60000 files is not a lot. Try a few million files.