Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 12:34:34 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [30-05-05] Layout update

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>> I beg to differ, use fixed size for the middle column instead and let
>> the right side column get whatever is left over.
>> The problem on my screen is that the right side column is way to wide
>> and squeezes the middle column into a thin stripe of text, basically
>> unreadable.
>
> It does not really matter which part is fixed as long as some part is
> fixed.
>
>> Believe it or not, but the most common resolution today is still
>> 800x600. And, even with a 19" screen and 1280x1024, I *never* use my
>
> 'Our' sites are visted mostly with 1024 * 768.
>
>> Designing webpages for big screens with high resolutions is just bad
>> practice, imho!
>>
> You would call 10" big?

On a 10" screen you should have the same problem as I have, which
means the center column is practically non-existent. Since that is
where the majority of the information is presented, I consider this
a problem.
I have made designs in the past that takes this into account and
switches between a 2 and a 3 column layout depending on the
resulotion and size of the visitors screen. If the screen is
considered too narrow, the design simply drops the third column and
adds the content in the first column instead. Maybe this could be a
good solution for this site as well. It does however require a site
with a language that supports atleast simple 'if' statements, and
afaik freebsd.org is mostly static (which does not mean the template
that presents the contents needs to be static, but thats another
discussion).