Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 07:36:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <menger@dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl and freebsd

Hello,
	I wrote a perl script which uses the unix crypt call to encrypt
passwords and when I tried to move it over to freebsd from Linux I found
that the passwords where no longer working as freenbsd seems to encrypt it
into md5 instead of DES. Anyone got a solution for this problem without
geting all my users to create a new password?

	This is also a concern as we have frontpage webs which have the
passwords in DES as well and it is causing authentication to fail with a
fresh compile of apache 1.3.9 on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE.

	If anyone knows what is wrong and a possible solution I would
appricate soem assistance.

	from,
		Matthew Enger
		menger@dhs.org