Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:38:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      danh@wzrd.com (Dan Harnett)
To:        mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org (Mark Ovens)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-root mounting of CD-ROMs

You should be able to allow anyone to mount anything without setting the setuid
bit on /sbin/mount*.   First, the permissions on the actual device need to be
changed so a user can access that device.   Second, a simple sysctl will let
the user mount a device:

sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1

As an alternative, you could put the user into the operator group, but this will
give the user more privileges than probably intended.

Dan Harnett