Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 02:55:29 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@wakky.dyn.ml.org>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i refuse to spend the $$$

On Sun, Sep 07, 1997 at 10:54:37PM -0700, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> Can someone explain the real difference between an audio CD and a data CD?
> I seen mentions of things like "jitter correction" etc. that I don't
> really understand, I have a somewhat decent grip on data cd's but as for
> audio --- are these made differently or what?

An audio CD has tracks and stuff just like a data CD, but the format's a
little different; it follows what's called the "Red Book" standard put forth
by Sony and Philips. The TOC is the same as on a data CD, but the sector
size is 2352 bytes, and there's no checksumming or ECC of any kind--that's
why audio CDs can skip. That's also what prompted the comment about CD-DA
download quality--since there's no ECC, there's no way to tell if the data
was corrupted during read or not; you only know when you hit a hard error,
and that's usually too late.

BTW, I'm not quite an expert on Red Book, so I'm gonna cross-post this to
-hackers in hopes that someone will correct this where its needed :)

--
Lee C. -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet #watertower)
A! JW223 YWD++^i WK+++r P&B++ SL++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did