Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 12:15:19 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on the install and on Red Hat Linux.

In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:

>[much deleted]

>Earth calling hackers, hackers come in.....

>It might be "fancy looking" to have an install process running in X,
>BUT, gentlemen, keep in mind all the hassle we had when we said
>that 4M wasn't enough to boot the install disk !!

Bravo Bravo, my thougnts exactly.  The idea of booting into X for an install is
the silliest thing I have ever heard.  most of my machines have the crappiest
video system one can find, they are servers and dont need anything else.  Not
to mention that the dialog interface is FAST FAST FAST, and to the point.  X
sucks up tons of memory, is slow as nails, and is rediculus overkill for an
install!  Just MHO.

-Crh
--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu