Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:32:40 -0600
From:      rootman <rootman@xmission.com>
To:        Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Justification for using FreeBSD

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say:

> >> The work has already been done, and doesn't have to be done again. I think that's
> >> enough of an advantage, especially if it'd "be a lot of work".

I took that to mean: There are already two web servers in place, FreeBSD/Apache
on one and NT 4.0/MS IIS on the other.  Both are working fine, no need to
change anything.

Other than fixing some duplication of content, this is certainly true.
However, if I can't supply a good reason for having two web servers
running our intranet, then I believe my manager wouldn't bat an eye at
telling me to copy all of the content on my FreeBSD box over to the
NT 4.0/MS IIS box and then get rid of FreeBSD.  This is, of course,
before arguing the cost saving benefits associated with FreeBSD.

I feel I've already obtained enough helpful information from you and
others on this list to justify the use of FreeBSD where I work.

If none of this serves to change minds/attitudes, nothing will.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Cynic wrote:
> [...]
> >> of IIS. BUT--but hardware is so cheap these days that this doesn't really matter,
> >> especially for intranet. Besides, one (several?) of memory managers in Apache 2.0
> >> is multithreaded, turning this further into non-issue.
> >> What matters, is price of the software, and your manager should get ready to keep
> >> paying if your company goes the MS path: you get IIS (i. e. ASP) bundled with
> >> NT Server, but that's bare bones. Any and all functionality you could imagine
> >> exists almost solely in the form of commercial components. And if you ever decide
> >> to take the IIS to the internet, you have to pay MS again for an internet licence.
> >
> >Yes, it seems the greatest advantage of using FreeBSD/Apache are because they
> >are free.  This rings especially important in lieu of the recent emphasis on
> >reducing costs in our office.  If you're a manager and you're truly serious
> >about reducing costs, why would you not support a proven, reliable, popular
> >and FREE solution that FreeBSD and Apache offer?  My company didn't even
> >pay for the copy of FreeBSD 3.4 that I currently have running on an old Compaq
> >Deskpro.  It was my personal copy and the PC I installed it on was collecting
> >dust in one of our storage closets.

> >> Disadvantages: well, that depends on what content dwells on those servers, and if
> >> you might want to develop an application across the two servers. That might bring
> >> in minor problems, but with WDDX and stuff... I think it's ok.
> >> But I see disadvantages in IIS... I mean, you don't have to ditch it, but:
> >>
> >> If your company ever decides to develop an application, the difference in cost will
> >> be prominent. Besides the cost of software I've outlined you need to take into account:
> >> * support costs (I'm not aware of MS mailing lists like the ones provided by ASF,
> >> FreeBSD, or e. g. PHP Group)
> >> * development costs -- ASP developers are more expensive, because you cannot download
> >> the software and play with it at night; there's nothing to fill the gap between
> >> Access (ouch) and SQL Server which translates to Informix or Oracle in unix world,
> >> and Oracle developers, just like the SQL Server ones, aren't cheap
> >> * HR costs - people who work with MS products switch jobs more often (this has been
> >> covered in wininfo IIRC [http://www.win2000mag.net] recently) than the unix types
> >
> >Ok, this sounds logical.  The only problem we've seen with having two web
> >servers so far, is duplication of content and this really isn't hardly an issue
> >and one that can be easily fixed.
>
> (Note: I haven't done this in practice, but it should work.)
> You don't have to duplicate any content, even with your current setup. Just do these
> two things: expose the content from Apache through Samba, and let the NT guy use the
> share as a virtual directory in IIS. If he alo shares the IIS webtree, you _should_
> be able to get it served through Sharity Light. That way both servers should be able

Right, I just haven't gotten around to messing with Sharity yet.

> >I plan to run a lot of web applications on FreeBSD/Apache.  I plan to install
> >FreeBSD 4.3 on a new server and include the latest Apache, PHP and MySQL
> >for starters.  I will also have Big Brother running on it to do our network
> >monitoring.  Wouldn't it be better to serve content on one web server and
> >run your web apps on another?
>
> What do you mean? Like moving all the static pages to either of the httpds and
> developing only on the other one from there on?

Yes.

> >Wouldn't this reduce the overall load on both
> >servers, instead of serving content and web apps on one?
>
> Not enough info.
>
> >I know that
> >FreeBSD/Apache could handle this easily but I don't know about MS IIS.  Plus,
> >the UNIX version of Big Brother is free and you have to pay for the MS version.
>
> IIS isn't as crippled as you might think from the majority of opinions expressed
> on unix-related mailing lists. My experience shows that most people would rather
> die than admit something different from their favorite toy is ok (let alone a product
> of the Redmond Satan!). IIS is just a web server, it has good points and bad points.
> One of it's worst aspects is the fact that--since it's a "M$ crap"--it's one of the
> most popular targets, and... Have you noticed how loudly the unix mob "applauds"
> to every hole in anything from MS? however, it's quite different the other way
> around. apache.org has been breached. if I weren't subscribed to the new-httpd@
> list, I wouldn't know. toye.php.net has been breached. If I weren't a PHP developer
> taking part in PHP's QA I wouldn't know. see my point? you can happily move any
> "legacy" content to the IIS box, using either shlight (Sharity Light) or mod_proxy
> (or mod_rewrite, if you wish so) to "hide" the IIS, and focus on FBSD/Apache.

Good point.

> >> Is there any real need to move from one to another?
> >
> >Not to me.
> >
> >>Is the coexistence of IIS and Apache on your intranet source of any problems?
> >
> >Not really.  Like I said before, the only existing problem is duplication of
> >content.
>
> See above. I don't have enough info to pretend being any authority, but there is
> quite a choice of ways to serve the IIS-based content through apache. no duplication.
>
> <snip> stuff I don't know </snip>
>
> >> You know (since we're talking intranet), if, for example, you company mandates
> >> iexplore as The browser, you _might_ be happier with IIS, because they account for
> >> each others bugs, while you could encounter glitches with the standards-focused
> >> Apache (although the Apache developers provide "hacks" like BrowserMatch for all
> >> browser bugs they encounter).
> >
> >Our company mandated browser is IE but so far, I haven't noticed any problems
> >while viewing the pages located on my FreeBSD box.
>
> Well, while very standards-focused, the apache developers know that a strict
> implementation would lead the popularity of apache south. :) they provide hacks, which
> are enabled by default. Of course, these are often minor problems showing up in
> border situations. Or you might not notice at all. (that is nothing to say about
> other browsers!)

Ok, thanks.  I hope I made a little more sense this time.  Maybe I just don't
know what I'm talking about.  I've been using FreeBSD for over a year now but
would never call myself anything of an expert.  I've still got years of
learning ahead.