Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:22:05 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Securelevel 3 ant setting time

Will Andrews wrote:

> Simple xntpd:
>
> # echo "server    time.nist.gov" > /etc/ntp.conf
> # echo "driftfile /etc/ntp.drift" >> /etc/ntp.conf
> # echo "xntpd_enable=\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf
> # echo "xntpd_flags=\"-c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/xntpd.pid\"" >> /etc/rc.conf
> # xntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/xntpd.pid
>
> This will suit most people.

The one embellishment I could add would be to check with your ISP; most have
a stratum-2 or stratum-3 time server and would prefer you use theirs to keep
the network traffic down.  The more reliable latency between your system and
their server -- lower hops mean more predictable delays -- will make your
ntp client more accurate as well.

Thanks for the quickie-config, Will.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com