Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:05:55 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking permissions on Windows 2000 (Server Edition)

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:23:30AM +0100, Zceth@broadpark.no wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My school uses Windows 2000 on their workstations. Believe me I've tried
> converting them to UNIX. But the sysadmin is a jerk, something he'll always be.

I am sure his mother wouldn't agree.

> Is it possible breaking my user permissions so that I can execute PuTTY.exe and
> finally get things going?

What things going ? The end of your academic career, being called a
jerk, a wrecker, possibly since you may not know what you are doing
damaging a system that is probably difficult enough to manage as it is?

> I know I'm asking for advices on 'how to hack' Windows.

No you are asking for advice on how to "crack" Windows. People on this
list often throw  stones at each other, but not often through windows.
Hacking is creative, cracking is destructive.

> But since you all hate
> Windows,

Do we ? What evidence have you found for that ? There is sometimes an
unruly thread or two on here comparing Windows and BSD, but it usually
dies down when the protaganists get bored with it. I think you may find
many people on this list who use both systems, either for work or
pleasure. Many people do start to use OS's like FreeBSD because of a dislike
of Windows, of Microsoft as a company, of frustration with it's
limitations, because they are interested, because they want to know what
all the fuss is about, because they would like to become knowledgeable
about Unix, or because there was nothing good on TV that evening.

> and you've all devoted your lifes fully and truely to the use of BSD
> UNIX, I'm hoping the replies on this e-mail will be positive.

Mmm. No I have devoted my life to sex and drugs and rock and roll.
FreeBSD is just my way of relaxing.

Why not try a different approach.
See if the Sysadmin has a PC lying around that is not spec'ed high
enough to run Windows 2000. Ask him, politely, if you could maybe put a
FreeBSD system on there, That it might be interesting for others as
well. Stress that it may have an educational benefit. Stay in late after
school to work on it. Make it a little project so it looks like
initiative rather than subversion. If he is sensible he will take any
Network card out of it and search your pockets for UTP cabkes
first .. but who knows.

This is a list for questions of how to effectively use FreeBSD.
Not on how to destroy a school network.

--
Regards
Cliff