Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:46:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iaint@CU-SeeMe.educ.utas.edu.au>
To:        sfuqua@fuquasc.wab.wku.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kaffe and login.conf

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 sfuqua@fuquasc.wab.wku.edu wrote:

> The login.conf file from the cdrom 3.0 causes kaffe to die and dump
> core with a message about the "heapsize not set", or something of that
> nature, on both the 3.0 and 2.2.2.  I have the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, as
> mentioned in bug 3383, and the kaffe works fine on 2.2.2 if I remove
> the login.conf file from /etc.  I haven't had a chance to see if
> removing login.conf will let kaffe work on 3.0.  Have I missed a
> parameter I need to set in login.conf in order to run kaffe?

I found I had to set the heapsize and other memory sizes to largish
amounts otherwise (I assume) that kaffe couldn't allocate its memory
because it went over its process limits. This is the interesting part of
my login.conf

The datasize-cur,stacksize-cur,memorylock-cur,memoryuse-cur seem to be the
parameters that make all the difference. (This took me a while to find the
correct values to make it work).

default:\
        :cputime=infinity:\
        :datasize-cur=32M:\