Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 16:08:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> > > At what gain are we doing this?  I believe it's a noble gain to have the
> > > source tree compile w/out reference to /usr/include, but what does it
> > > gain us?  The only thing I can see where it's a big deal is building a
> > > brand-new $(DESTDIR) tree.  Other than that, most of the time I *want*
> > > to use the files in /usr/include and NOT those in /usr/src (speaking as
> > > a user-land kind of guy).
> >
> > "The only thing..."
> >
> > You are elected to release eng for 2.2 if you want to ... :-)
>
> chroot is your friend. ;)

Yes, sure, but it's only a workaround.
The fundamental problem is that the source-tree should be self-contained.

Just think about the benefit of a "make world" which will not hose your
c-compiler if the c-compiler source is sick...

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk>
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.