Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 08:27:52 -0700
From:      "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed net card question

At 03:33 AM 5/13/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> my exsisting 2.2.1 system wants to recognize as ed0. It
>
>NE2000 compatable (good)

Yeah, its an NE2000 compatible.

>> times out though after the system comes up, I suppose becuase
>> it not configured, which is ok, I want to use it in the new
>> box anyway, and the config software is probably for dos. But
>
>you may need it to program the flash ...

Yep. The auto config in the installation program suggested IRQ 15
which I thought was a little strange, but I selected it.

>BAD setting - will conflict with COM2 (oh, it's jumperable?)

Software config only, no jumpers.

>the pc has no UARTs on board?

Its an AMD bios 486 board. I have a serial card on it for serial
stuff.

>> and it still timed out. I was wondering if there was an ideal
>> irq to use on the fresh 2.2.1 system? Does the dos config ware
>
>yeah, 5 or 7 - as long as you don't use your printer on one of those.

I don't, so I guess I'll try those.

>you should read more about this stuff.  you will need to set up
>ARP, PPP, etc, etc.

I will, certainly. One thing though, I shouldn't see these time out
messages normally, should I? Fortunately, the fate of nations doesn't
ride on my getting this set up, its my own personal thing, I want
to set up an intranet at home. So I figure I'll make the timeout
messages go away first, and then start tinkering with protocols.
Si?

-Tim