Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:01:36 +0200
From:      Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: efficiency of maxproc hardlimit

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 10:09:50AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
[...]
> It's also silly.  If you've found limits that "work" then why insist
> on giving your users enough rope to hang you?

The world is complicated. Some of my processes need that
stacksize. There is no problem setting safe limits for
all other users or denying access to my machine completely
but for myself (this is the case now).

> Either enforce proper limits or rmuser.

Of course. But the users behave quite well, so no real complaints.

> If you could get a traceback of the stuck client, that would be
> helpful.

Ok, I'm working on that but it may take some time. Some long run
processes started yesterday may need a few days and I don't want
to disturb them. btw. don't the BSDI guys have a mechanism for
stopping a running process storing the image somewhere in swap
space and continue after a reboot? Would be quite handy right now.

Thank you for your suggestions.

  Bj=F6rn

--=20