Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 13:11:14 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone know of any software for playing Video CDs?

Petri Helenius writes:
>$400 sounds kind of steep for a card that cannot do DMA into video
>memory...
>(since it's an ISA card it obviously cannot DMA to PCI memory, right?)

Yea, I'd agree it's pretty steep.  That was last time I checked,
6 months ago or so. I guess it's not really my business, I just
wrote the driver.  I'm not sure off-hand why you'd want to DMA
from an MPEG playback card to a video card.  It will do VGA
overlays, with any video card.  The overlay goes via the VGA feature
connector, not running through the IO bus.  I think the Tailsman
works the same way, but I haven't looked at it for a while.

>Pete

eric.
--
erich@rrnet.com http://rrnet.com/~erich