Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 00:12:55 -0400
From:      "Christina Clarke" <cclarke@autoform.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Configuring IPFW

Dear FreeBSD list  -- I am hoping to obtain some advice with my attempts to
configure FreeBSD and IPFW as a firewall for our networks. Briefly we have
a 12 station network running NetBEUI and TCP/IP, with a gateway to a Novell
subnet (also routing TCP/IP). All our IP address space is properly
subnetted and routed.  I currently have NT 3.51/SP4 doing all the routing
for us from a dedicated Internet connection. It is also a Web and FTP
server, and is getting very heavily loaded. I am trying to set up
FreeBSD/IPFW as a firewall to  manage the ppp link and packet filtering. I
believe I have set up and installed a  Custom Kernel correctly, and edited
my sysconfig accordingly. The box runs fine, and I have it sitting on an
ethernet connection on a spare IP address to the Internet. With only one
network card in it right now, however.

I seem to be unable to do anything with ipfw, however. On boot, the error:
/sbin/ipfw setsockopt failed
issues, and subsequent attempts to do anything with ipfw (e.g. add rules or
list the one default rule, etc.) result in errors like:
ipfw getsockopt (IP_FW_GET) Invalid argument.

I've read and re-read and... all the docs I can find without success.

Any and all suggestions very much appreciated -- and please email me
directly.

TIA

Christina Clarke
ASL AutoForm Systems Limited // 245 West Beaver Creek Suite 9B
Richmond Hill ON L4B 1L1 Canada
Phone 905-771-1384 // Fax 905-771-1344