Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 20:01:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   using DLT drive on FreeBSD

Hi there

I 'found' myself a DEC TZ87 DLT drive destined for the scrapyard. This
is a 10/20Gb device (the 20Gb is using the optimistic 2:1 compression).
Quantum calls this a DLT2000. Apart from solving my backup needs for
the foreseeable future :-) I also have a few questions:

First of all, the drive works just fine on my Asus P90/NCR810
The main problem is that I cannot set the buffersize used by 'dump'
to a high enough value to keep the tape streaming. These puppies need
1.3 - 2.5 Mbyte/second to keep streaming OK. The actual required rate is
dependent on how good the data compresses. An experiment @ work with a
Sun Sparc20 revealed a 1.9Mbyte/second transferrate while dumping the
/usr Solaris filesystem. Side note: I had to put the drive on a seperate
SCSIbus/adapter to make this work.

I think the 2.1R limit is 32kbytes. In the recent past there was a
discussion about this on this list (in relation to DAT drives??). Didn't
pay too much attention at the time because I did not have the drive then.
Is there any way to increase this value (seem to remember there was not.?)

It is of course also possible that the HD & tape being on the same NCR810
are hurting the streaming operation.

NB looks like I also have to hack a bit into 'mt' to allow the density/
compression settings to work. WIll dig up the device spec to see what
that has to say

Comments?

Wilko