Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:40:55 +0200
From:      Johan =?iso-8859-1?q?Bolmsj=F6?= <johan@nocrew.org>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@freebsd.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/95665: [if_tun] "ping: sendto: No buffer space available" with TUN interface (easily reproducable with test program)

On Friday 29 September 2006 13:35, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>   Bruce,
>
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 12:30:29PM +0100, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> B> >You kept the PR in feedback state for 11 hours, and then you
> B> >suspend the PR! Are you expecting our users to reply immediately?
> B> >
> B> The user responded saying they could not reproduce the problem further
> B> as they no longer had a FreeBSD system installed.
>
> Ohh, people again aren't adding neither bug-followup@ nor
> freebsd-gnats-submit@ to the Cc of their replies.
>
> B> Despite my best
> B> efforts I could not reproduce the problem with the test case given on
> B> RELENG_6_1 and HEAD, as I documented in the PR.
>
> The subject problem has been reported several times on the mailing
> lists, and I've also observed it myself in the past. There is definitely
> a bug that brings tun(4) to a state when nothing can be transmitted.
>
> B> Apologies for any confusion caused.
>
> No problem.

Hello,

I'm the one who wrote the bug :-) I submitted it because I had found others
(via googling) who had had what I could see similar mbuf problems with many
different network cards (and no real solution presented). I thought I had a
foolproof way to reproduce it so I thought it might be helpfull. Anyway my
system I was running this test on is a AMD X2 (dual core). Could it be SMP
related? I have no idea myself..

As said before, I don't have freebsd on this box any more otherwise I would
have helped to test again with a later FreeBSD version.

BR,
Johan