Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 13:19:02 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Bill <wmf521@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1024 cyl.

> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> On Friday, 31 March 2000 at 21:42:10 -0600, Bill wrote:
> > I know Linux has a booting limit.  I have a 37.5 GB IBM hard drive and Linux won't install.  Will FreeBSD?
>
> Please limit your lines to < 80 characters.
>
> > I know Linux has a booting limit.  I have a 37.5 GB IBM hard drive
> > and Linux won't install.  Will FreeBSD?
>
> FreeBSD will.  I'm pretty sure that Linux will too.

In both cases, I learnt once (the hard way) that the root
partition must be under 1 MB. (or maybe 2 MB). It's not enough if
the / "slice" in FreeBSD is small: the MSDOS-style partition
itself must be. Maybe this is a machine or BIOS dependent thing,
though. For me, that time, slicing up an 8 GB disk didn't work, I
needed to partition it first. If you do that, and make sure / is
< 1 MB, linux should certainly install too.