Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:35:59 +0100
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2 port is a horror!!

> In fact, the fact, that other ports use the same installation paths like
> X11 (like xv, several graphical libraries) prevents me from deinstalling
> the XFree port. It is a hard work deinstalling and then reinstalling
> all the needed stuff ...

I've been trying various approaches to upgrading the XFree86-4.1.0
megaport to 4.2.0. Three ago I got sick and tired of it and forcefully
de-installed XFree86-4.1.0_12,1 with "pkg_delete -f". pkgdb was whining
about a few dependency problems with "imake" so I got rid of that as well.

After removing X, I just did a "make install" on the new the XFree86 4.2.0
ports (starting off with -libraries, then -clients, then the rest I
believe). It all builded nicely and after a reboot X was back. After a few
days of fairly intensive X-ing I have yet to see an application break or
coredump due to the replacement. When replacing 4.1.0 with 4.2.0 I'd say
"the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" ;)

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24290808 | PGP keyid 0x84813998