Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 06:18:45 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Ed Heil <edheil@postmark.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a linux drive on FreeBSD 4.1

Hello Ed,
nobody seems to have answered so far, so just my 0.02 Euro.

Look at the following and wonder:

su-2.04# mount|grep linux
/dev/ad0s5 on /linux (ext2fs, local, read-only)
/dev/ad0s7 on /linux/usr (ext2fs, local, read-only)
/dev/ad0s8 on /linux/home (ext2fs, local, read-only)
/dev/ad2s3 on /linux/opt (ext2fs, local, read-only)
su-2.04# umount /linux/usr/
su-2.04#  mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad0s7 /mnt/
ext2fs: /dev/ad0s7: Invalid argument
su-2.04# umount /linux/opt
su-2.04#  mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad2s3 /mnt/
su-2.04# mount |grep -e linux -e mnt
/dev/ad0s5 on /linux (ext2fs, local, read-only)
/dev/ad0s8 on /linux/home (ext2fs, local, read-only)
/dev/ad2s3 on /mnt (ext2fs, local)
su-2.04#

The secret is the different creation time of the Linux partitions (maybe also
different fdisks in different distributions. I experimented a lot with different
Linuxes and I canīt remember , when I created which partition with which
distro). Something (sparse super blocks) changed in the ext2fs. I was told, you
could change this with fstune, but didnīt check out until now.
As workaround, things do well if defined in /etc/fstab (strange enough, but
therefore all my Linux partitons were mounted in the example above. BTW, "mount
-a" or "mount /linux" also works, which I really donīt understand!! Maybe time
for my first PR.). You could also recreate your Linux filesystems with
appropriate Linux fdisk, but this isnīt so easy normally :-)

Excerpt from my /etc/fstab:

su-2.04# cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s3b     none            swap    sw                      0       0
/dev/ad0s3a     /               ufs     rw                      1       1
/dev/ad0s3f     /home           ufs     rw                      2       2
/dev/ad2s1d     /usr            ufs     rw                      2       2
/dev/ad0s3e     /var            ufs     rw                      2       2
/dev/ad0s9h     /usr/src        ufs     rw                      2       2
/dev/ad0s5      /linux          ext2fs  ro                      0       0
/dev/ad0s7      /linux/usr      ext2fs  ro                      0       0
/dev/ad0s8      /linux/home     ext2fs  ro                      0       0
/dev/ad2s3      /linux/opt      ext2fs  ro                      0       0
su-2.04#

I didnīt manage to mount them rw in fstab (if experimenting, prepare to change
your fstab with the means of single user mode, as it resulted in a non-booting
system for me!) and remounting them rw only worked for the file systems, I can
also mount manually.

Hope this helps
Siegbert