Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:50:09 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is anoncvs.freebsd.org poorly?

From: Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
Subject: Is anoncvs.freebsd.org poorly?
Date: Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 07:50:58AM +0000

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that anoncvs.freebsd.org was non-responsive yesterday and
> today when I attempted to update my ports collection I got:
>
>   cannot mkdir /cvstmp/cvs-serv3016/ports
>   No space left on device
>
> Is anoncvs.freebsd.org in a poor state of health? I can't see anything
> wrong at my end.

Don't use CVS.  CVSup is the preferred method of updating sources.

I regularly update my /home/ncvs CVS repository from the mirror at
cvsup.gr.freebsd.org (since I'm in Greece, I use a Greek mirror;
another one might be best for you), with the following supfile:

    *default host=cvsup.gr.freebsd.org
    *default base=/home/ncvs
    *default prefix=/home/ncvs
    *default release=cvs
    *default delete use-rel-suffix

    *default compress

    src-all
    ports-all
    doc-all

The '*default release=cvs' line is the operative one, in there.  It
does not check out a given release of the sources, but transfers the
RCS files of the repository and their full contents.

-giorgos