Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:37:53 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64MB

At 07:08 PM 11/10/97 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> If you can't trust the BIOS after the kernel is in memory, how can you
>> trust it to load the kernel into memory?  While the kernel is still
>> "booting...", the BIOS should be safe enough to call in real-mode.
>
>Three problems:
>
>1)	You can't trust a *user process* to call the BIOS (it's not
>	the sword that's the problem, it's what the peasent *does*
>	with the sword that makes us make them illegal for everyone
>	but the knights and the king).

I didn't realize the bootloader had user processes.

>2)	The BIOS INT 13 code has a 2G limit on partition size, unless
>	you can guarantee all the devices in your machine support
>	LBA mode (even then the limit on LBA is lower than the limit
>	in FreeBSD... 64bits >> 32 bits).

This appears to be completely wrong.

First, I'm talking about bootloaders.  I assume you agree that the
bootloader should use INT 13.

Second, the INT 13 interface (without LBA mode) is limited
to 8.4 GB, not 2 GB.

Third, the limit for LBA INT 13 is 64-bits worth of sectors, or
2^73 bytes.  This should last us for several more years.

>3)	Gate A20 (now you will argue that Dell hardware doesn't use
>	BIOS code that expects a wrap in memory).

Of course I will!  I doubt any BIOS has ever been made that needs
it.  You'll no doubt cite some heap-o-crud(tm), obsolete system made
by some long defunct company, probably with some ironic name like
"Leading Edge" or something....   ;-)

-
Tony,
who disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.