Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 09:02:58 -0500
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel Panic while building world

Hi all,
  Just thought I would add a little something to this discussion about
rebooting.  I have had a machine that has consistently rebooted itself in
the midst of building world.  It doesn't happen when I am running X (say I
leave it on overnight with a locked screen-saver), but only when there is
really nothing else major running.  It happens nearly every time, the only
way I can get the buildworld to finish properly is to leave X running :(.
I finally got sick of it, and seeing as the buzz on the list is to get some
useful? information, I compiled the kernel with the DDB option and got a
listing of the stack trace.  I have included it below.  There was also
mention of getting a dump (how do I do this??).  The computer is running
3.1-STABLE (CVSup ~4/22/99).  My hardware is listed below:

Pentium 166MMX - Intel 430VX Based Motherboard (Biostar I think)
96 MB RAM
IDE Drives (2 HD, 1 CDROM)
SMC EZ Card 10 ISA Ethernet (no appreciable network activity at the time)
Creative Vibra16X Soundcard
Generic Rockwell-based 33.6 Modem (Internal)
Matrox Mystique 220 Video

  This machine in behind a firewall, so there is no danger of this having
been part of the "remote reboot" saga.  The stack trace is below:

fault virtual address  = 0xffff037f
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xffff037f
stack pointer = 0x10:0xc6848e28
frame pointer = 0x10:0xc6848e9c
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                     = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process = 36124 (cpp)
interrupt mask =
kernel: type 12 trap, code = 0
stopped at -0xfc81:

fault virtual address  = 0xffff037f
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc01ad7d0
stack pointer = 0x10:0xc6848ca0
frame pointer = 0x10:0xc6848ca4
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                     = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process = 36124 (cpp)
interrupt mask =
kernel: type 12 trap, code = 0

  Is there anything else that would be useful.  You'll have to help me out,
I am not sure what else to do.

Thanks,
Ben Gavin

  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant