Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:57:29 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ottawa: Open Source Weekend

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:55:25AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2002 at 10:44, Dan Langille wrote:
>=20
> > Hi folks,
> >=20
> > There will be an Open Source Weekend in January (http://www.osw.ca/)
> > here in Ottawa.
> >=20
> > I plan to be at U of O with some BSD boxes hooked up in a small=20
> > network.  I'll be able to demonstrate installs, system upgrades (e.g.
> > cvsup the source/port trees), port upgrades, etc.  That means I'll
> > have a cvsup server, a mirror of the FreeBSD website, and others.  If
> > anyone wishes to help with that, or has suggestions, please let me
> > know.
> >=20
> > Anyone wishing to create their own demonstration is asked to speak up
> > now and let us know your ideas. =20
>=20
> The schedule is now available at http://www.osw.ca/schedule.html and=20
> as you can see, it's all about Linux.  Why?  Because nobody has=20
> stepped forward to do anything else.  Any volunteers?
> --=20
> Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
>=20
>=20

Well, I'm afraid I can't help you as I live in germany, but this shows
a general problem we have here.

I helped organizing three BSD booths this year, NetBSD and OpenBSD
were always present with several people (besides the Linux-Kongress
booth, but that one doesn't matter).
Some days ago I came back from the 19c3 in Berlin, Germany.  OpenBSD
and NetBSD both had pretty big booths there with lots of stuff to
show and sell.
I was the only FreeBSD guy over there (unfortunately I didn't have
time to prepare something), while there were several OpenBSD and
NetBSD people, among them some developers.

This is kind of funny, since FreeBSD had the biggest marketshare
among the BSD projects.

I don't really know how to motivate people to help at booths or
set up their own ones, but it is a great way of helping the project
without being a great coder or something.

For people in Germany/Europe:=20

There is a mailing list where booths are organized/coordinated,
suggestions can be made and such.

bsd-events@unix-ag.uni-kl.de

The subscribtion works like with the FreeBSD mailing lists, mail to
majordomo@unix-ag.uni-kl.de with subscribe bsd-events in the body and
so on.

I really would like to see some activity in this area.

- Christian

--=20
http://www.unixpages.org			chris@unixpages.org
GPG Pub-Key    : www.unixpages.org/cbrueffer.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D
GPG Key ID     : 0xA0ED982D

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--