Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:25:54 -0500
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Scott Kupferschmidt <sk@isprime.com>
Subject:   Re: /dev/null permission issues

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:47:23 -0400 (EDT)
Scott Kupferschmidt <sk@isprime.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know I've sent in once before regarding, but no one has seemed to know
> how to fix this issue.  It seems when I install boxes with 4.8-rel cd the
> /dev/null changes permission every minute to non-writable by any user,
> breaking a lot of scripts piping output to /dev/null.  Anytime I try chmod
> 666 it, within the next clock minute, it's back to 644.
>
> I've tried rebuilding the device completely, cvsup'ing to a newer version
> (4.9-pre), nothing seems to fix it and it only seemed to happen on
> machines that I originally installed with 4.8-rel.  If anyone has some
> insight on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated as I am pulling
> hair trying to figure out this problem.

Scott,

-------------------snip---------------------

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Scott Kupferschmidt wrote:

>> I had the same problem and still unable to figure it out..

I thankyou all for the above comments. They were helpful to
me in finding the problem: When I thought about it for a
time I realized that it happens on days that I was doing
administrative work as ROOT!

	It was NETSCAPE! running under root. It turns out that
I periodically tweak our router via Netscape. If I happen to
be logged in as root on my FreeBSD terminal when I log into
the router with Netscape, then after I'm finished with my
work and close Netscape, I find that the permissions on
/dev/null have been reset to: crw-------.
	I'm running Netscape-4.76. I also have a late
version of Mozilla installed which doesn't seem to
mangle the file permissions on /dev/null the way Netscape
does. I also don't need to be logged in as root when I
run Netscape to tweak the router, it just happens that
when I'm doing other administrative stuff I think to
look at the router also. (:->)

			Ed Alley
			wea@llnl.gov

You did not mention running Netscape 4.67 as root, but I thought
I would throw this out here, in case it is relevent.

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com