Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:34:55 +0000
From:      Xian <ml-freebsd-newbies@codepad.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kyocera FS-680 mono laser printer setup !

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 02:02, Pand Gopal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Newbie to Unix, FreeBSD and to this group.
>
> I am keen to setup a FreeBSD 5.3 Release box (in the next few days) as
> print server for various clients in the network.
>
> The parallel port printer lpt1 is directly attached to the FreeBSD 5.3 box.
>
> I have read the printing section in FreeBSD handbook online. The topic of
> filters seem to be too complicated.
>
> As a step-1 in my endeavour, I am more interested in printing from the
> FreeBSD box particularly pages/images from Firefox.
>
> I require following info :
>
> (1) Do filters have to be installed to print graphic image ?
> (2) What filter should I use with Kyocera FS-680 mono Laser printer ?
> (3) Any simple step by step instructions for FS-680 setup ?
>
> Any info or pointers is well regarded...
>
> Regards
> Pand Gopal

If your printer can't handle post script, you will need a filter to print
anything other than text. If your printer can do post script, you need a
filter only to print text.

There is a program called ghostscript that turns post script into something
printers can understand. I didn't see you printer listed on its list of
compatible printers but I wasn't looking very hard. I think there is more
about this in the hand book

HTH

--
/Xian

"Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker"
unknown author