Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:21:19 +0900
From:      "Daniel P. Wright" <dani@dpwright.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard cutting off soon after launching X

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies.  I have finally managed to get the
machine up and running again -- the problem was not what I expected!

Following advice in this thread and around the internet, I tried:

1) Setting AutoAddDevices, etc in xorg.conf
2) Disabling HAL before starting X
3) Recompiling the X server without HAL support and removing hald_enable
   from rc.conf
4) Running X without an xorg.conf

All to no avail.  By the time point 3 hadn't worked, I was starting to
feel pretty suspicious of my theory that this was a problem with HAL...

Which is when I noticed a log message appearing sometimes,

    "Last message repeated 20 times"

I scrolled back up to see which message was being repeated so often, and
realised my error.  I had a script (taken from somewhere on the
internet), which was automatically logging me in on tty7 and launching
X.  It basically worked by adding the following into my .bash_profile:

    tty=$(tty)
    if [ "$tty" = "/dev/ttyv7" ]
    then
    	startx
    	logout
    fi

I had disabled that briefly in order to do some configuration which
required me to close X, but stupidly all I did was comment out the call
to "startx" rather than the whole if statement.  As a result tty7 was
constantly logging me in and out in the background.

Why this should cause the keyboard to cut out as described I'm not sure
(I would have expected the whole system just to run slowly), but
commenting out the entire if statement, or restoring the call to
"startx", solved the problem.

Many thanks again to everyone who replied.

-Dani.