Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 23:11:46 +0200
From:      Sicco Miedema <s.miedema@home.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   a few questions, just out of curiosity...

Hello,

I just built a FreeBSD mail/dhcp/firewall/samba etc. ( and after that i
demolished the harddrive :-(  Tomorrow i am going to reinstall a new
harddrive and a new FreeBSD installation. I just had a few questions which
would help me improve the new server:

1. Is it just me or is there more documentation available for Linux the for
FreeBSD (www.freebsddiary.org  is of course a wealth of knowledge, but i
was looking for a site like www.linuxdoc.org, yet I did not find anything
using google)
1a. [stupid mode on] Why does FreeBSD seem more logical to me then Linux?
[stupid mode off]
2. Are there any nice monitoring programs available? Like DU meter for
Windows. (this one is just for coolness i was thinking of using SNORT for IDS)
3. Is there a way to backup the complete server and restore it within 10
mins? Norton ghost would be perfect, but the server doesn't have a
diskdrive or cd-rom. I tried to tar the whole harddrive, resulting in a
complete chaos an a 3GB tar file... (which i tried to upload to a win2k
machine, resulting in /var = full)

And at last i would like to thank the people involved in developing
FreeBSD. When i come home after a day of win2k server probs it's nice to
see at least one server running within established parameters (that is
without weird behavior) ;-)

Sicco Miedema
*This is the most stable computer in the world, as long as you don't run
any software on it...*