Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:37:17 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'dump' unreliable?

Hi list,

my first test of dumping a filesystem to tape and reading it back was somewhat
disappointing.

I dumped the filesystem as follows:
root@antsrv1 [~] # dump 0cafb /dev/nrsa0 1000 /export/solaris
   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Sep 27 11:14:06 2001
   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
   DUMP: Dumping /dev/twed0s1d (/export/solaris) to /dev/nrsa0
   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
   DUMP: estimated 3416548 tape blocks.
   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
   DUMP: 0.03% done, finished in 0:56
   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
   DUMP: 38.99% done, finished in 0:07
   DUMP: 75.28% done, finished in 0:03
   DUMP: DUMP: 3407516 tape blocks on 1 volume
   DUMP: finished in 783 seconds, throughput 4351 KBytes/sec
   DUMP: Closing /dev/nrsa0
   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE

Trying to retrieve the data yields:

root@antsrv1 [/export/stuff/restore] # restore xfb /dev/nrsa0 1000
bad name to addentry ./openwin/lib/X11/locale/C/help
abort? [yn] y
dump core? [yn] n
Browsing through the tape with 'restore -i' shows that the directory
./openwin/lib/X11/locale is empty!

I than did the same dump to a local file to rule out any tape problems -- same
result.

Am i making any mistake? Is the filesystem too large (about 10 G)? Or should i
go for a different backup software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341

Leon
: And stop saying "okay" all the time! Okay?
Mathilda: Okay.
Leon
: Good.