Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 17:57:32 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

Charles Henrich writes:
> > I don't think it was 'Sat on'.. 2.1 was happenning....
> > hopefully there is a backlog of such things that will now happen now that
> > the main vm people can breath again....
>

> Maybe im talking out of turn here (hell, I am) but it seems to me that
> if there is something this significantly "broken", we should have at
> least attempted to see how valid it was and move it into 2.2.  It
> seems that our target it the high-performance, high-reliability ISP
> service, and bugs that cause the entire system to freeze every n
> seconds for many seconds is a serious problem.

Is it any more serious that the other problems the VM guys spent hours
fixing?  I'd consider it *less* serious that most of the other problems
that were fixed in 2.1.

There are only so many hours in a day, and those 24 were spent making
2.1 as good as it could get.  If this means that the system still has a
'feature' of pausing under certain conditions I don't mind it as much as
rebooting and/or panicing under more common scenarios.

Either you get a release out the door, or you wait indefinately and fix
all known bugs while the system stagnates because of lack of features.
I think all involved would prefer the former to the latter. :)

Nate