Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 07:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ted@wiz.plymouth.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/19488: Bug in 4.0-STABLE (acting as a Bridging firewall)

>Number:         19488
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Bug in 4.0-STABLE (acting as a Bridging firewall)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE upgrading to FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE (6-22)
        Firewall using Dummynet (problem still occurs even with no rules)

        Dell 550Mhz with 128MB RAM and 2 ethernet cards
                xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL>
                xl1: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL>

Applicable Kernel config options:

        options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
        options         TCP_RESTRICT_RST

        options         IPFIREWALL
        options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
        options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

        options         IPSTEALTH
        options         BRIDGE
        options         DUMMYNET

        options         NMBCLUSTERS=16384startup options:

        bridging_enable="YES"
        bridging_fw_enable="YES"
        portmap_enable="NO"
        firewall_enable="YES"
        firewall_script="/usr/local/etc/firewall/rc.firewall"
        drop_synfin_enable="YES"
                               excerpt from /etc/rc.network (I added some options):

        case ${drop_synfin_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n ' DROP_SYNFIN=YES'
                sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.drop_synfin=1 >/dev/null
                ;;
        esac

        case ${bridging_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n ' BRIDGING=YES'
                sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=1 >/dev/null
                ;;
        esac

        case ${bridging_fw_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n ' BRIDGING_FW=YES'
                sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1 >/dev/null
                ;;
        esac
Following upgrade, Loss of reliable RIP updates via firewall from WAN
gateway to LAN routing switch.

WAN gateway RIP stats confirmed outgoing packets sent.

Sniffer connected via switch mirror ports on either side of firewall.
On WAN side of firewall, set to filter for WAN router IP address,
confirmed subnet broadcast packets (RIP packets) in transit.

Sniffer on LAN side of firewall confirmed very few of those getting
through.

Physically patched around firewall and normal operation returned.

Reverted to old kernel on firewall, put it back in line, and normal
operation was maintained.

(Did not happen to notice whether the opposite was also true, that LAN
RIP packets failed to get through to WAN router.)

>How-To-Repeat:
Build kernel on 4.0-STABLE (as of 6-22)
>Fix:
 Revert to kernel made on FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE system.