Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 07:51:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        tege@cygnus.com (Torbjorn Granlund)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, tege@cygnus.com
Subject:   Re: Frequent panics in 2.0-RELEASE

Torbjorn Granlund writes:

> Starting with the floppies from ftp.freebsd.org, via the full 2.0 CDROM
> distribution, I am trying to build a mildly customized kernel.
> Unfortunately, I cannot get past the compile of the new kernel, since the
> existing kernel (i.e., the one from the distribution) keeps panicing.
>
> Here is what I get on the screen (somewhat abridged):
>
>   Fatal trap 1: privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode
>   instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf013d400
>   code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 		  = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>   processor eflags = resume, IOPL = 0
>   current process = Idle
>   interrupt mask =
>
>   panic: privileged instruction fault
>   syncing disks
>
>   Fatal trap 12, ... etc etc
>
> My system has an Asus PCI/I-486SP3G motherboard with and integrated NCR SCSI
> 2 controller and a 100 MHz Intel 486DX4, 256 kB L2 cache, and 16 Mb DRAM.  I
> have set the cache to do write-through instead of the defalt copy-back.  (In
> the BIOS that is, maybe the kernel overrides this.)  The only hard drive is
> a 500Mb SCSI 2 device.

I borrow a test system with a DX4-100 (a Compaq Presario) and have
stopped using it because I get a "privileged instruction fault
while in kernel mode" also.  The problem goes away when go back to
the regular processor.  And of course: 'It works "fine" running
Microsoft Windows'

I've seen references to problems with the first step of the DX4-100,
and that is what mine is, but I haven't persued this much further
yet..  What does it say when it probes your CPU?

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936