Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:49:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Whiz-Kidz <whiz-kidz@pcisys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook in ascii

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Whiz-Kidz wrote:

> I have been trying for some time to get a plain text copy of your FreeBSD
> Handbook,
> which the documentation that you publish say exists. Your instructions say
> that such a document eists on your site and a bunch of mirror sites all
> over the world, blah , blah , blah.  However, you cleverly DON'T tell me
> the name of the file.  This is like saying that you can find a "very
> special book" in the library, any library, just go get it.....
>
> C'mon floks, lets pretend that some REALLY wanted to get a plain text (Not
> html'd, not latinized, not holographicized...) copy of the hand book,
> y'know, like with ASCII characters all by themselves, ready to be viewed on
> a monitor near you...

Maybe he has a point.  I downloaded the handbook.latin1; here's the
first page:

                               FFrreeeeBBSSDD HHaannddbbooookk

                       The FreeBSD Documentation Project

                                 December 1996

                                   AAbbssttrraacctt

     Welcome to FreeBSD!  This handbook covers the installation and day to
     day use of FFrreeeeBBSSDD RReelleeaassee 22..11..66. This manual is a wwoo
rrkk iinn pprrooggrreessss
     and is the work of many individuals.  Many sections do not yet exist
     and some of those that do exist need to be updated.  If you are
     interested in helping with this project, send email to the FreeBSD
     documentation project mailing list
       <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG> The latest version of this document is
     always available from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server1 .  It may
     also be downloaded in plain text, postscript or HTML from the FreeBSD
     FTP server2  or one of the numerous _m_i_r_r_o_r _s_i_t_e_s (section 23.,
page
     358).  You may also want to Search the Handbook3 .

Well I guess technically that is plain text.....

Annelise