Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:37:36 +0200
From:      Yann Berthier <yb@bashibuzuk.net>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openospfd

   Hello,

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, at 19:59, David Gilbert wrote:

> Is there anyone actively working on openospfd (the port)?
>
> There are systemic things like the fact they want to ignore lo0
> destined routes (although I know how to patch that), but there are
> less obvious things that I havn't figured out.
>
> Like the fact that our version ignores if_tun and if_gre.  This might
> be fixed in openbsd code, but it seems at least a little non-trivial
> to make the newer code work here.

   I asked (privately) the same question some weeks ago - as newer
   openospf snapshots make use of route labels, i was told that input
   was needed from some committers heavily involved in the network
   stack. The question is still open: pf, openbgp and now openospf use
   route labels, is it a feature worth being ported to FreeBSD ? (no,
   not by me). I even remember an olllld post by glebius@ where he
   talked about using route labels to store AS info for ng_netflow

   I ended up taking a snapshot of openospf at that time and removing
   all route labels reference to compile it. It was running fine, except
   that we decided to go for static routes due to routes through an
   interface deleted as it should upon a link down event, but not
   reinstalled upon a following link up, with the routing table still
   insisting on using another interface when the directly connected one
   was now available. Certainly ? it was my hack's fault being too
   intrusive, but we where not comfortable with this situation ...

   Not too much of a problem for the number of routes considered in this
   part of the infrastructure but still ...

   regards,

      - yann